The late Victorian Queen’s Hotel, later known as the Guichon Block, was, along with the Burr Block next door, one of the few buildings in downtown New Westminster to survive the Great Fire of 1898. Over the life of the building much of the exterior detail, including the elaborate cornice and “name” pediment, had been removed. The banded brick facade was completely stuccoed over.
The modest exterior restoration focused limited resources on reconstructing the expressive cornice and pediment, repair of original wood windows and complete repainting. The colour scheme recreated the banded character of the original red brick facade.