This garage and stable building was built in 1911, as part of the the H.T. Ceperley agricultural estate “Fairacres”, designed by noted architects Twizell & Twizell. The building is significant as it has facilities for both car and horse transport. This award-winning project reconstructed the unusual, and drastically altered, original gable-end roof design and restored original doors and windows. The historic colour scheme was discovered and recreated to great effect.
The mansion, estate buildings and landscaped grounds are a landmark in Burnaby and an outstanding example of English Arts & Crafts country-style. Linked to important pioneers of British Columbia, this estate is the centrepiece of the Deer Lake Park culture and heritage precinct. The Fairacres mansion is now the Burnaby Art Gallery. The garage and stables building is used by the Burnaby Parks, Culture and Recreation Department.